This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S. Davis Wright Tremaine is looking for a driven Corporate Paralegal. This position provides a full range of paralegal support to our San Francisco and New York offices in the emerging business and venture financing practice, working primarily on private placement equity financing, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate maintenance and support for our emerging company clients. The paralegal will proactively communicate with clients to ensure client needs are met and possesses the ability to identify client issues and respond in a timely manner.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
Corporate Maintenance and Support
- Prepares formation and foreign qualification documents and amendments for corporations and limited liability companies; prepares and manages filings for licensing and other permits.
- Drafts corporate documents, including but not limited to bylaws, shareholder agreements, shareholder and board meeting minutes and consents, stock certificates, and form agreements, as appropriate.
- Manages corporate minute books, capitalization tables and stock ledgers on behalf emerging company clients; proficient at using incorporation and cap table management software and applications; maintains firm best practices for keeping corporate records current and easily accessible.
- Assists clients with administration of equity incentive plans; prepares equity grants using form agreements, as appropriate; researches and prepares required federal and state securities filings.
- Manages multiple financings/deals running concurrently while also keeping corporate records current.
Private Placement Financings/M&A Work
- Assists clients in preparing due diligence request lists and responding to due diligence requests in financing and M&A transactions; proficient in setting up and using different technology platforms (i.e. virtual data rooms) and other methods for responding to such requests; maintains best practices for organizing, tracking and communicating due diligence responses.
- Prepares and maintains closing checklists for private placement financings and M&A transactions.
- Acts as primary interface with filing services for any corporate filings required to complete a financing or M&A transaction; keeps all parties aware of filing deadlines.
- Assists in closing of private placements and M&A transactions, including drafting ancillary documents, preparing signature pages, updating investor schedules, tracking receipt of signatures, and compiling fully executed copies of documents and agreements.
- Prepares stock certificates, Form D’s and other securities filings required in connection with the financing or M&A transaction.
- Prepares closing volumes; updates stock ledgers and capitalization tables as needed.
Education and Experience
- A strong background in providing corporate support to emerging companies and venture financing experience is required; background in M&A transactions very helpful.
- Bachelor’s degree and completion of paralegal program of study, or clear demonstration of equivalent knowledge and skill.
Skills and Abilities
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook) for the creation and editing of documents, Proficiency in cap table management software, including Carta and Capshare, is not required, but candidate will be expected to become proficient in both quickly.
- Proficiency in the use of electronic signature applications (e.g. –DocuSign) and document retention databases (e.g. – Google Docs, Dropbox and other proprietary virtual data rooms).
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies and methods of client communication as needed.
- Ability to understand and follow work directions, make discretionary decisions, manage multiple priorities and respond to urgent requests with minimal supervision.
- Excellent proactive communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain effective working relationships and communicate verbally and in writing, with clients, firm members, and other business contacts.
- Exceptional client service skills, as well as the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and be highly organized and accurate.
- Strong time and task management skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, service environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
We are committed to creating and cultivating a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.