This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S. Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is seeking a Conflicts Staff Attorney to join our Seattle team.
This position is responsible for performing a variety of tasks related to the screening of potential client engagements in accordance with the firm’s risk management procedures and policies, with a focus on conflicts screening for lateral attorney hires.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
- Undertake and analyze conflicts database searches with respect to prior and current clients of lateral-hire attorney candidates at all levels
- Provide detailed reports with respect to lateral-hire attorney candidates to Practice Group Chairs, Partners In Charge, and other stakeholders
- Work closely with HR Recruiting team in supporting the lateral-hire attorney recruiting and onboarding process with respect to conflicts of interest issues
- Coordinate administrative opening of new matters for incoming lateral-hire attorneys. Including identifying conflicts of interest and drafting waivers with respect to those conflicts that a current firm client and/or a lateral hire attorney’s prior or current client may waive under the applicable Rules of Professional Conduct
- Participate in training sessions for attorneys and staff regarding the firm’s conflict screening and new client/new matter intake processes
- Participate in Conflicts Staff Attorney on-call coverage for conflicts checks related to new business intake
- Update department training materials on conflict and new business intake issues
- Run special searches as needed (i.e. prior relations of new attorneys, potential merger, etc.) to identify potential conflict issues
- Participate in special projects involving ne business intake best practices and risk management initiatives
- Assist with other administrative tasks, and/or support as assigned
- Juris Doctor; licensed to practice in one or more United States jurisdictions required
- Demonstrated knowledge of conflicts of interest rules under the Rule of Professional Conduct required, prior experience with conflict analysis in a large law firm environment is ideal
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, required
- Ability to build relationships with other attorneys to gain confidence in the conflicts analysis and approval process required
- Attention to detail, analysis and organizational skills required
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player able to work in a fast-paced environment required
- Strong customer service skills, including understanding and responding quickly to a variety of inquiries, are required
- Ability to work under pressure and meet project deadlines is required
- Experience with Microsoft Office is required; experience with Elite Records Management System is preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
We are committed to creating and cultivating a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.