This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S. Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is seeking a Human Resources Manager to join our team in Seattle. This position will serve as the primary resource for managers and employees in the areas of employee relations and performance management. Specifically, this position will provide guidance and coaching to managers on employee issues consistent with firm policies and in compliance with applicable local, state and federal employment laws and regulations. This position will also oversee the staff goal-setting and check-in processes, receive and resolve employee complaints and concerns, and conduct employee investigations. Additionally, this position manages and updates HR policies and practices and designs and implements HR-related training programs.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
Your contribution includes:
- Partnering with staff managers to provide consultative support and customized solutions in the areas of employee relations and retention, performance management, maintaining compliance with state and federal employment laws and regulations.
- Providing guidance and coaching to staff managers regarding performance issues, including performance improvement plans, consistent with firm policies and applicable laws and regulations.
- Acting as ombudsman for attorney/manager/employee complaints and concerns.
- Conducting employee investigations of complaints and recommend resolution to Senior HR Manager and HR Director.
- Partnering with Senior HR Manager and HR Director on all proposed employment terminations and facilitate terminations to conclusion.
- Analyzing, designing, and revising HR policies and practices to sustain positive employee relations and ensure compliance with new and changing city, state, and federal employment laws.
- Acting as primary resource for attorneys, managers and staff on HR policies and procedures.
- In partnership with Staff Development team, designing and implementing HR-related training programs for managers and employees, and assess the efficacy of the same.
- Overseeing the administration of the staff goal setting and performance check-in process
- Providing firm-wide project support to Senior HR Manager as assigned.
Join us if you have:
- 5+ years of direct experience in employee relations, labor relations, or labor/employment law with an emphasis on labor and employee relations work
- 5+ years’ experience in a professional services environment; law firm experience highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or in a related field; advanced degree, JD, or other specialized training in labor/employee relations a significant plus
- Professional certification preferred (SPHR, PHR, etc.).
- Thorough working knowledge of all applicable state, local and federal employment laws, especially FLSA, FMLA, ADA and related state leave laws
- Team player with strong written and oral communication skills; acts with a sense of urgency and bias for action
- Strong interpersonal and persuasion skills, ability to establish solid working partnerships with managers across all departments and offices
- Ability to instill trust and confidence by maintaining objectivity and clear communication, while remaining patient and professional at all times
- High degree of analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to handle highly-sensitive and confidential employee relations issues to a successful conclusion.
- High-quality judgment and sound decision-making; ability to anticipate potential conflict and reach a satisfactory resolution.
- Strong project and time management skills with ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects to closure
- Technically proficient in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, & PowerPoint
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
We are committed to creating and cultivating a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.